Thursday 6 March 2014

Maya Practise.

Zbrush. Done...onto Maya.

After our Zbrush project we briefly moved on to getting shown the basics of Maya, my next project will be using this new software. I saw these few weeks before the project as a time to come away and practise the basics we where taught and to teach myself a little more so I was prepared for the next project. We where also set the task of creating a object within 1.5 Metres Cubed so we had something to test the things we where taught on.


Object 01. (PhoneBox)

The first thing I decided to create was a phone box. I figured it would be a relatively simple object to create but without it being too plain to challenge me. I created the phone box but somewhere along the way of adding edge loops and extruding the mesh had encountered a bit of a problem and I had to delete a few faces and re-fill using the append Polygon tool. This meant I had a very messy mesh and poor typology- not only that but making my phone box all out of one box meant that un-wrapping it for texturing would be very difficult. Overall, although it looked like a phone box, it was a poor attempt and not the professional standard I'm aiming to achieve. 






Object 02. (Altar)

After the last object I made I decided to make another object. One slightly more challenging but that I should easily be able to keep clean typology on. I chose to do the Alter as I knew our next project was based around a castle so I felt a Altar was a good practice of Gothic architecture. My main focus with this object was making sure it was split into even Quads for a good structure and I also wanted it to be easy to texture, a few of the parts are separate and duplications to make all this easier. The cloth on the Altar is a translucent white, I done this because when it comes to texturing I'd have the plane completely transparent and use a lacy throw image on it. This way I can achieve a realistic, intricate, looking cloth cover just with a photo shopped .png Image.









Texturing!
So After getting shown some tools to help with UV un-wrapping I started to try it out on my Altar (As this was the easiest one to texture). I un-wrapped all the model pieces and got some textures from 'CG Textures'. I then took my UVs into photoshop and played around with the images I'd gotten to create nice looking textures. I even created a transparent lace image which gave the illusion of real lace. I then rendered it out with some basic lighting (as haven't been shown rendering properly yet) and this is my outcome, I may add some extra details later and work on making the textured objects look less the same. For my first attempt I am fairly happy with the outcome though. 



Rendering.


So after trying to render out the image you see above I was shown properly how to set up cameras, lighting and also play around with bump maps. I took what I learnt and applied it to my Altar to render it out better using mental ray for a good quality outcome. I created a bump map by making an Alpha of my cloth and had a bit of a play around with various settings until, finally, I came up with this. 






Object 03. (Flintlock Pistol)

The last two objects I created where very box-based and I found too easy to produce, I wanted to try something more challenging. For this I chose a flintlock pistol, All the moving parts and the curves within this prop I thought would be a good challenge to try to produce a model of but still keep the typology clean and as easy as possible to un-wrap and texture. For the final Image I've changed the normals to a soft edge but you can see in the wire frame how it's made up. 






I'm fairly happy with the outcome and shall have to see what it is like to texture at a later date. I shall Attempt to texture my last 2 objects after my Texture session on Friday and see whether my attempts to keep it as simple as possible has paid off. I will also, with time, create a whole environment in Maya as a practise. I'm thinking of doing a HD version of the 'Crash Bandicoot' world map Islands. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Pages